Monday, November 23, 2009

HFDU - 18th Edition

Originally sent: October 4, 2004

G'day all! I hope this email finds everyone well and looking forward to cooler weather. I, on the other hand, am absolutely ready for the sun to start shining and for afternoons on the beach and on the lake! It just doesn’t seem to be coming fast enough. My HFDUs seem to be getting further and further apart, so I must admit that I'm losing energy in typing about everything, finally, after 15 months. But, hopefully now that I've gotten around to it, it'll be a somewhat entertaining and informative edition.

Probably the most significant thing that's happened since the last edition is B's footy team (the Bulleen Templestowe Fighting Bullants) winning the Grand Final in their division. It was a momentous occasion, as the Bullants had not won a Grand Final in 21 years! So as you can imagine, the mood was merry and there was much celebrating to be had (until about 6am the next morning to be exact!). I was so happy for the boys and especially B, who was absolutely over the moon. I've put a photo on the website of us just after the game. The weather on the day was horrible, raining for most of the morning, leaving the field a complete mud pit, but the boys didn’t seem to mind and just plowed right through. Then during the presentation on the field after the win, it started hailing. I guess I can be an optimist and say that at least it didn't hail during the game. So, the Bullants have moved up a division for next year and footy season is finally over!

I've also now attended my second company Ball, which I must admit, was a bit disappointing compared to last year. I think it's because I had higher expectations, but I still shouldn't complain, as it was a great night of dining, dancing, and hanging out with some good friends from the office. The theme was "Illumination" so there were lots of glow sticks involved, of which most ended up around people's necks. I've also had my second end-of-audit lunch, which I still must commend my company for. It's so nice to be able to take an afternoon off in reward for all of your hard work during the audit, and spend it with the other members of the audit team. At this particular one, we met up with a team from another audit on their lunch, and had double the fun! We ate at a restaurant that overlooked the bay, and it was a bright & sunny afternoon, so just perfect. I wish I could do that every afternoon!

I just had my 4th visitor come over and explore the great city of Melbourne. I feel truly blessed that I have friends and family who come visit me as it brings little pieces of home to Australia. She was very independent, did lots of exploring, and saw some of the most beautiful landscape in Victoria. I think anyone who spoke to her would be convinced to come over for a visit, as I know she had a wonderful time and is ready to come for another visit! Speaking of visits, I've got my flights booked to come home for the holidays (18th Dec - 4th Jan), so I'm definitely looking froward to catching up with those of you who I can. I think I'll be eating as much Mexican food as possible during my 3 weeks home, as well as iced tea, good margaritas, and several other food items that I've been craving over here. Strangely enough though, I'll probably miss going down the road here and picking up a lamb souvlaki. It's funny what you get used to living in a different place.

What else has been going on…….B & I took one of our friends little girls to see Shark Tale last weekend. She kept talking about it for about a week before the show and still talks about it. I don't think she really understood the movie, but she liked going with us as it was something fun & different for her. I also went to see the display of the Impressionists at the National Gallery of Victoria. Melbourne has had the pieces on loan from the Musee d'Orsay in Paris since June, and of course I put it off until the 2nd to last day that they were here so it was very crowded. It was neat to get to see some of the famous pieces in person though, although I must admit that other than the few that I knew, not a whole lot else appealed to me. I felt that I should go though…..since they were here.

I've officially completed my 5 years with my company, and was awarded with a choice of anniversary "gifts". After much thought, I settled on a telescope! I've wanted one for quite some time, and this was the perfect opportunity. The stars in the country down here are absolutely beautiful, and hopefully B & I can make use of the telescope on trips to his family's holiday house, and on our upcoming trip to Tasmania. We're going over a long weekend, and taking a couple of extra days off. We're taking the cruise ship over with the car, similar to what I did over last Christmas with my friend "M", but we are going for 5 days this time and are actually getting to do some exploring. Tasmania is supposed to have some of the most beautiful scenery around, and since there aren't heaps of people living there, most of it is untouched and unbelievable! I can't wait!

I actually just got back from a weekend in Daylesford, the spa capital of Victoria (if not Australia) with my friend C. We decided to leave our men for the weekend, and spoil ourselves at the spas. It was such a lovely weekend - lunch by the lake, a paddleboat around the lake, before our 2 hour spa session Saturday that included a massage and facial . Then we just relaxed until we went out for a nice dinner in town. Sunday was much of the same - a late morning with breakfast on the balcony, lunch in town, then another 2 hours at the spa consisting of a full body mud wrap and reflexology on my feet! I don't think that I have ever been so relaxed for such a long period of time. It was very hard to come back to work after being spoiled like that for the weekend! Funny thing is, B was probably just as happy and relaxed, spending 8 hours fishing on Saturday and another few on Sunday, and his would have been at a lot lower price than mine :-)

Well, I think that's about it for now. Softball season is just around the corner, so I'm definitely looking forward to that. B is playing this year too so that will be an added bonus! Busy season is starting to draw to a close, so I'm enjoying more early evenings and the increasingly warmer weather. Hopefully I'll have a nice Aussie tan when I come home for Christmas :-) I hope everyone is well. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I can't believe that I've been here 15 months already…..and that I'm supposed to come home in just 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment