Friday, October 23, 2009

HFDU - 10th Anniversary Edition

Originally sent: November 16, 2003

Well, it's time for the 10th Anniversary Edition of the HFDU Series. Not that it is going to be any different, but it sounds cool at least! A lot has happened in the last two weeks that I felt warranted another edition a little quicker than normal. So, I hope that this edition finds you all well and getting in the holiday spirit!

Most notably over the past two weeks was a party last night for which I was a co-host. Considering that there are two Texans in Melbourne, we decided a while ago to throw a Texas theme party for the Aussies, as they have some interesting perceptions of what Texas is really like. So after some frustrations locating proper country music, proper decorations, food that could pass as "Texan-style" and some very interesting costume ideas, we pulled this party off last night with flying colors. It turned out fabulously! Almost all of the Aussies rented costumes for this party and most showed up as cowboys & indians, so they must think that we are still outlaws or something! We provided them with line dancing lessons, supplied them with margaritas (which the Aussies do not make right!), and had a good old-fashioned BBQ. I have added some pictures from the party on the website for your amusement, and so you can see the crazy Aussies all dressed up in their best "Western attire". I must admit though that it was a bit nostalgic listening to George Strait, Robert Earl Keen, Tim McGraw, & the Dixie Chicks last night. Almost felt like home, then I realized that it was over 90 degrees in the middle of November! In a nutshell, the Aussies are always up for a costume party, and they definitely appreciated the effort that we put forth to give them a true Texas experience!

I've also added a picture of the tram that I ride to work on every day and one of Collins Street, which is where my office is located. Notice that the Christmas decorations are already up! As soon as the big tree in the city is complete, I'll be sure to take a picture of it and pass it along. Yesterday was the hottest day so far this season (90+), and gave me a good dose of what is yet to come this summer season! I was pleasantly surprised the other day to discover that Starbucks here also has gingerbread lattes for the holidays! It seems a little strange to drink a hot gingerbread latte in the middle of the summer, but be guaranteed that I will. What a relief - I was afraid that was just an American thing!

This past Friday night we had a work group social function and went lawn bowling! I had never been before, and that was obvious during my attempts to play, but it was a great evening out socializing and relaxing with co-workers. Of course, we were the youngest people at the bowling green BY FAR, but I think the elderly regulars were enthused to have some eager young players for once! We played a round robin tournament, but my team didn't even make it past the first round! Maybe next time......

I also had my first experience with the Spring Racing Carnival a couple of weeks ago, and boy was it a good one! Me and a group of girls got all dressed up in our dresses, hats, and big flowers and went to the races on Oaks Day, which is Ladies Day at the races. Of course many people now call it "Blokes Day" as all of the men show up to see all of the women so there are just as many blokes there as there are women! The weather was beautiful and we sat in a corporate marquee tent eating and drinking all day. I don't think that I have ever had so many mimosas in my life, but champagne is a staple at the races here. I only bet about $30, and of course lost it, but the day was better spent socializing and people-watching. Unfortunately no digital pics of that occasion, but rest assured that it was a great time!

My company also had a night out at the movies where they rented an entire theatre out for a special screening of Matrix Revolutions. It was great to get free tickets and kind of neat to watch with all people that you know. Needless to say, there were several popcorn fights going on during the movie, but that just made it more entertaining and eventful! I think it's great that my company does stuff like this as it really does make you feel more appreciated, and doesn't take all that much effort on their part!

Other miscellaneous items.......I finally ate kangaroo the other night at dinner. It was actually really, really tender and delicious! I had a kangaroo steak, and it was a bit gamier than beef, but not overwhelmingly so. I have to admit though that every time I took a bite I pictured the little guy hopping around and that was bit strange. I think with beef, chicken, pork, or other meats, you don't really think twice about the animal as you are eating it, but kangaroo it was a little different. If you make a trip to Australia at some point, you must try kangaroo. Probably nowhere else in the world can you get it!

My softball season started out with a bang when my team, the Fawkner Park Pirates, beat our first opponent 28-1 this past week. It's great to have a group of friends outside of work, and several of the players are actually American, so that's even better! There are not many of us down here, so to find 3 on one softball team is amazing. I think this will turn out to be a very fun time for me!

I'm also starting Greek lessons with a girl from work next week. We'll see how they go, but I thought that it would be a fun learning experience (am I sure???)! All I want to do is be able to chat with people, but really have no desire to read or write in Greek.

I bought a bike and have been out and about a little on it, but I'm still quite nervous as I have not ridden one really in years. I try to stick to side neighborhood streets rather than main drags. It will be a good form of exercise in the summer of I can get comfortable enough to ride it along the beach! The Rugby World Cup is almost over. Last night was the highly anticipated Australia/New Zealand semi-final match. Watching that during the Texas Party with Aussies and Kiwis alike was an interesting scene! Today is the France/England semi-final, and then the final should be next weekend. What an amazing time it has been in Melbourne having all of the rugby fans from all over the world coming to this city to watch the World Cup! It was seriously an Irish invasion last weekend, but they lost and all went home. The English and French haven't left yet!

Well, I suppose that is enough for now. It's strange thinking that you are all gearing up for winter and a cool Christmas, while I am here watching the weather get warmer and the bay being filled up with kite surfers, sailboats, and the like! Such is life in the southern hemisphere though I suppose, and at this moment I would not trade it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment