Friday, October 23, 2009

HFDU - 9th Edition

Originally sent: November 4, 2003

Well, it's been a while since the 8th Edition, but it certainly is not due to a lack of activities. I must admit though that I have been quite busy with work and getting settled in here four months later. So what have I been up to over the past month........

I learned of a women only event called "Martinis and Manicures" that is hosted by a bar in the city. In a nutshell, you pay $15 for a cocktail and a manicure, and you get free makeovers, a goodie bag, and some quality hang time with a bunch of women in the process. I went with a friend from work and we have decided that we will definitely be attending on the first Tuesday of every month. It was a great stress reliever, and what woman doesn't enjoy a manicure?

We also had our group footy celebration night at a Greek tavern a couple of weeks ago. There were about 40 people, of which only about 8 were women, and after a full blown authentic Greek meal, we took to the dance floor for a little traditional Greek dancing. Luckily there were 2 guys in the group who are Greek, and there were not many other patrons in the restaurant that evening, so the rest of us had a ball learning how to dance Greek style! I loved it, and definitely intend to learn the lengthier, more complicated Greek dances at some point while I'm here. Melbourne as the second largest population of Greeks in the world outside of Athens. That's a lot!

The Rugby World Cup has been going on for a couple of weeks and so there are a lot of foreigners in Melbourne right now cheering on their teams. Even though footy definitely rules Melbourne, there is definitely no shortage of support for the Rugby World Cup. Especially the Australia, New Zealand, and England supporters. Someone asked me how the United States rugby team was doing any my reply was, "Do we have a rugby team?". After I realized that we did in fact have a team, I heard on the news that we won our first game in ages, which maybe suggests that we shouldn't have a rugby team????

Anyway, in addition to the Rugby World Cup, it's also the Spring Racing Carnival. This means that for the past 3 weeks, every weekend there have been horse races in Melbourne. A good excuse for men to get gussied up in their fanciest suits and women to doll up in their nicest dresses and coordinating hats. It's really a sight to see. So popular in fact, that the first Tuesday of November every year is a state-wide holiday known as Melbourne Cup Day. I'm not actually going to the races until this Thursday, Oaks Day, which is ladies day. It should be an adventure and I'll have to write about it in my next edition.

A couple of weeks ago the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation hosted it's annual Walk for the Cure around Albert Park Lake. I was really looking forward to this walk, only to see the weather forecast suggesting a wet day. Needless to say, me and some co-workers showed up determined to walk fast and stay as dry as we could, soon to discover that we were soaking wet, it was still raining, and there was no end in sight. So, we finished the walk and then took the rest of the day to dry and thaw. It was for a good cause though, so well worth it. And the rain helped decrease the shortage in Melbourne's water supply!

I applied for the Earthwatch Fellowship that I mentioned in the last edition. I should find out if I make the first cut in a few weeks. If I did get selected, I would get to spend two weeks in New Zealand studying dolphin behavior and activity. What a thrill that would be!

Angie (my flatmate) and I went to a cooking class one night and learned how to make various tapas and sangria. This lady holds them at her house and changes the theme every month, so we'll probably start going on a more regular basis. It's great because you watch her cook all of the food and then you get to eat it! I just need to try to make myself actually put the cooking lessons to use now. I always seem to think that's is a great idea and easy to do, but then I never do it!

Let's see - other exciting news.......my first visitor comes in two weeks and I'm thrilled! The weather should be nice and I'll have my car by that weekend and we are going to travel down the Great Ocean Road one weekend and spend another in Sydney visiting a friend from my same office back home who is on rotation over there. I am so excited to finally have a car and the independence to go wherever I want, whenever I want. Although, this past weekend I bought a bike. Me and a friend saw and add in the newspaper for a bike sale, and me, her, and her husband all bought one. I have not owned a bike for years, but am so excited to have it! I have not finished putting it together yet, but as soon as I do, I'll be out and about enjoying the weather and getting some exercise in the process. Speaking of exercise, I've decided to go ahead and join the gym down the street so that I can try yoga and pilates classes with my flatmate, and I am starting slow-pitch softball tomorrow. Should be great activities to keep fit and meet lots of new people!

Well, I've been through a few rough days down here, but nothing that I can't handle. I'm setting in and realizing that this is not just a vacation, but my life. Things are constantly changing and you just have to adapt! But, it's a learning and growing experience and I still would not trade it for anything. The Aussies continue to amaze me with their kindness and acceptance and everyone still has an open invitation to visit and enjoy this wonderful place!

Hope all is well with each and every one of you and I would love to hear from you all. I must admit that it is strange that the weather is getting hot just in time for the traditional winter holidays. But, I don't think that I'll suffer too much spending Christmas in the Australian heat and New Year's on the beaches of Bali!

No comments:

Post a Comment