Friday, October 23, 2009

HFDU - 8th Edition

Originally sent: October 6, 2003

Just when I thought things in Melbourne were getting routine.......

The last couple of weeks have been thoroughly enjoyable! My weekends are getting better and better as the weather improves! A few things that I need to share with you..........I survived my first Grand Final party. Whoever thought that the Aussie Rules Grand Final is not as big as the Superbowl is wrong!! I went to a Grand Final Party with about 150 other people and we had a great time. Most of the people who were there weren't even watching the match, but I tried to look at the screen every now and then in the midst of meeting heaps of people, dancing, eating, and watching everyone enjoy themselves. The game was actually not a good one as the Brisbane Lions beat the Collingwood Magpies, badly, for a three-in-a-row premiership. Needless to say, the Brisbane supporters were very excited, and I was proud to be part of the Aussie Grand Final tradition.

The Dixie Chicks concert was very enjoyable as well, as I felt at home when they started talking with the American accents. They performed an amazing concert, as usual, and me and my friend sang along with them the entire time -- I think we were the only ones who really knew the lyrics! It was humorous to see the Aussies try to dress up in country & western attire. It seemed that part of an outfit would look country, but then they would pair it with something else that totally took away the effect. Oh well, at least they tried!

I have experienced my first motorcycle ride, and have become addicted! I went last weekend with a friend along the beach for a couple of hours and totally understand the rush that motorcyclists get during a ride. It was nice to be the passenger and not have to concentrate too hard as I got to enjoy all of the scenery. My bum was quite sore after an afternoon of riding, but that didn't keep me away for long......this past weekend we went up into the hills for some more riding. I got picked up at 9am and we rode for an hour or so until we got to Healesville, which is a quaint little storybook town with a main street lined with cafes and fish & chip shops. They have an animal sanctuary just outside of town that is very popular, so we went there for a few hours and enjoyed seeing the animals in their natural habitat, and stretching our legs. I took some good pictures of koalas, kangaroos, and a baby wombat (my favorite), so check out the website for those.

After the sanctuary, we hopped back on the bike (I felt like a real biker chic at this point!) and drove up into the hills for a couple of hours. It was some of the most beautiful scenery that I have ever seen. Narrow roads lined with these super thin tall trees as far up as you could see, and lush tropical plants completely covering the ground. And to see it all from a bike was even better! Until it started raining - but at least the rain added to the high level of adventure for the day. We didn't end up getting home until 5pm -- that's a lot of motorcycle riding, and was one of my best day's here yet! Although, my body felt like a big cramp this morning when I woke up. I think I was using muscles to balance on the bike that I didn't even knew that I had.

I have just nearly purchased a car over here and can't wait until I have it. I am very anxious to go exploring on the weekends and see different areas that are not as reachable by car. I test drove it this weekend, and it was an interesting ride, keeping in mind that I have not driven a manual since high school, and you have to shift with your left hand, so imagine the trauma that I was going through! But, I managed not to stall the car or hit anything, so I feel as if it was a successful test drive. And it's a fun sporty little car so I should have a good time with it.

I just learned that the Aussies don't really celebrate Halloween. I was asking around to see if there were parties/masquerades/trick-or-treating, and the general consensus was no. It's amazing that Halloween has become such a commercialized holiday in America, but it's virtually nothing over here. I'm applying for my company's Earthwatch Fellowship. Earthwatch is an organization that works for environmental causes, and my company offers two very lucky employees the chance to go on one of the Earthwatch expeditions. There are several to choose from, including koala ecology, study in the rainforest, tropical fish ecology, New Zealand dolphins, and a couple of others. I have decided to apply for the study of dolphins in New Zealand, which consists of a two-week expedition with all food, training, & accommodation provided, as well as the opportunity of a lifetime to study with these animals one on one. I fully do not expect to get chosen for the Fellowship, but I have to try. I think that it would be such a fantastic opportunity, and you never know.....they may think that putting an American in New Zealand is a great idea!

A few more fun Aussie facts:

  • The Aussies kiss you when they meet you (one kiss to the left cheek), or shortly after when they are more comfortable around you. It's less personal and intrusive than a hug to them. I have mastered this well and really enjoy it! Except I forget that you kiss instead of hug, so I usually end up doing both and some people most likely think I'm either weird or very friendly!
  • A bachelor and bachelorette party are called a Buck's Night and a Hen's Night. It sounded so funny to me when a friend said that she went to a Hen's Night over the weekend. What a fun phrase though! I think we should adopt that back home to add a little more creativity to our vocabulary.
  • When an Aussie uses the term "flat out", it means busy or fully booked. Someone asked me this morning if I was flat out this week and I had to stop and think for a minute.

I can see why the Aussies are so crazy about summer down here. The weather keeps getting better and I am spending more and more time along the beach jogging or just walking and watching everyone else. This weekend the bay was full of sailboats and windsurfers and it was entertaining to watch the windsurfers trying to stay up and performing some aerial maneuvers.

My friends at work were talking about New Year's Eve on the beach in bathing suits ("bathers"), and that seemed so strange to me. But, it's completely normal to them and they wouldn't have it any other way. Speaking of New Year's Eve, it's likely that I will be spending it in Bali! I'm excited about the thought, but will be even more excited when I know for sure!


Well, that's it for now. Hope everyone is doing well and keep those emails coming. No matter how much fun I am having down here, hearing from someone at home always puts a big smile on my face:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment