Thursday, October 22, 2009

HFDU - 6th Edition

Originally sent: August 31, 2003

Hello everyone! Time for another update on life in Melbourne. It's amazing that you look at a map and see how far Australia is from the States, and think that it must be a completely different world. But in reality, it's just another place in the world where people live and has many similarities to home. For example, the other day I was watching on television Australian Idol and Australia's "The Mole". This is in addition to Big Brother Australia, which just ended a few weeks ago, and CSI, CSI Miami and the Law & Orders, of which I have seen them all since Australia TV is one season behind. In fact, the Bachelor 3 just started over here (the one with Andrew Firestone) and all of the girls at work are talking about who they think will win, and it killed them when I told them that I knew who won! But of course I didn't say anything because I couldn't ruin the show for them :-) I also saw American Pie 3 and Charlie's Angels at the movies the other night, so the movies are not too much behind. Anyway, my point is that it looks like Australia is going to drop off the globe, but it's really a normal place with normal people, and quite enjoyable!

I went to dinner the other night across the bay from Port Melbourne (my home) in Williamstown and it was neat to drive over the Westgate bridge and see the city from across the water. It was like a little storybook town with small little shops, cafes, and restaurants, and then the piers, lighthouses, and all of the boats. After that I went out dancing back in the city and we ended up at a Latin club for some salsa dancing! I'm not very good but I'm learning, and we got to enjoy the DJ (regular dance music) when the band was on break so it was a fun evening. I think I might take salsa dancing lessons at some point so that I actually know what's going on! Speaking of music, guess who I am going to see in concert in another month? The Dixie Chicks! Although I'm still a bit aggravated at them over their comment during the war, I need a good dose of country music and have a friend here that really wants to go see them so we're both excited to go. Talk about carving out a slice of America and bringing it down here......their first night in Melbourne sold out so they added a second night. LeAnn Rimes is also coming, as well as Christina Aguilera.

One thing I just learned is that Father's Day down here is in September rather than June as the Queen's birthday is in June and I guess they don't want to take away any of her glory. Mother's Day is still in May though. Also, spring officially starts here on September 1st, and the Aussies are so excited as that means summer is just around the corner. They seem to think that just because it's officially spring that the weather is automatically going to improve. I hope so! It has been awfully rainy and windy here lately. The other day I was running along the beach and saw the most spectacular full twin rainbows that extended from over the water to the city. It was one of those moments that you wish you had a camera to capture them, but then realize that the pictures would not have done them justice.

This past weekend we had the Chartered Accountants Footy Day. I cannot describe to you how serious the guys took this day! Remember a few weeks ago we had the company Footy Day? Well, imagine that times about 100. All of the big public accounting firms and a few smaller ones, get together for a footy tournament. My company has won the past three years in a row so there was a lot of pressure on us this year! The day starts at 9:30 am and lasts until about 5 pm. All of the firms set up big tents with food & drinks and we hang out all day eating, watching footy, and cheering on our company's guys. About half of the team was from my group so it was fun to watch all of them out there. And......we won for the fourth year in a row!!! I would have hated if we would have lost because my senior manager was the coach and he would have not been pleasant to work with tomorrow!

Anyway, it's a reminder that the Aussies take their sport very seriously, but also that they like to have fun. What a great day it was! Speaking of sports, the Rugby World Cup is coming to Melbourne soon and it's Australia vs Ireland, so it's becoming madness around here as people are trying to pay obscene amounts of money for tickets.

I had an official interview with the Starlight Foundation this past week and as soon as they check my references and get by police check done, I'll officially be a wish granter! I'm excited, but very nervous at the same time. It's a big responsibility, but also something that I really want to do. Hopefully before long I'll have some good wish granting stories to share with all of you. I have some disheartening news though. I made PB&J sandwiches for my audit team last week, and they thought they were gross! Can you believe it? The staple of the American child's diet, and the Aussies couldn't believe that we eat them! So, they'll eat Vegemite sandwiches, but no PB&J. That just goes to show you the differing tastebuds between countries. They still like my brownies though!

I'm going to try something new. The Aussies have such a different way of pronouncing certain words that it shocks me. I'll try to describe it but forgive me if they don't make sense (note that the syllable in bold is the one that is stressed):

We say/They say
oregano: or-egg-i-no/or-i-gone-o
aluminum: a-lume-i-num/al-i-mini-um
pecan: pa-con/pee-can

Those are just some that make me laugh. Especially aluminum. It sounds so strange, but it's so normal to them.

I almost forgot.......I have my first visitor coming in November. Special thanks goes to my friend T for being the first to make the long trip down here. I am so thrilled to have another American to celebrate Thanksgiving with! The weather will be a little warmer T, and the Aussies will have no idea why we are buying a turkey & dressing in the middle of spring, but we'll have fun anyway :-) And this will give me a good excuse to rent a car and go be adventurous!

Well, I guess that's about it for Edition 6. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the last days of summer back home. I love to hear about what's going on in your lives so please shoot me an email and let me know! And for those of you with kids -- just because I'm not there to hound you over new pictures doesn't mean that you can't still send some my way :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment